Visiting Rome - What to See and Do
(Rome Fiumicino Airport Leonardo da Vinci FCO, Italy)
One of the most beautiful and intriguing cities in the world, Rome boasts an incredibly rich history and culture, and is full of majestic monuments, stunning ancient ruins and charming streets. It is also a thriving, modern city with lively shops, cafés, bars and excellent restaurants. All of this combines to make Rome one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe.
Chaotic at times, but undeniably stylish - whether you are a model or a traffic conductor, Rome is full of people who are justifiably proud of their city.
Ten things you must do in Rome
- Visit the ruins of the ancient Coliseum, a world-famous symbol of Rome, where gladiatorial contests and chariot races were once held.
- Step back in time with a trip to see other spectacular ancient ruins such as the Forum, the Pantheon and the Circus Maximus.
- Climb Janiculum Hill and enjoy breathtaking views across the city of Rome.
- Marvel at Rome's magnificent architecture. Among the many highlights are the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.
- Spend a night at the theatre, opera or ballet and soak up some of Rome's rich cultural heritage.
- Dine out at one of Rome's many excellent restaurants, which serve up superb local cuisine as well as food from around the world.
- Visit the Sistine Chapel at Vatican City and gaze up at the spectacular ceiling painted by Michelangelo in 1508.
- Shop till you drop at Rome's many elegant fashion boutiques, large department stores, specialist shops and markets.
- Wander around one of Rome's many excellent museums and art galleries, such as the Borghese Gallery, Capitaline Museums or the Keats-Shelly Museum.
- Sit down and relax with a coffee, beer or glass of wine in a Rome café and watch the world go by.